Thursday, March 26, 2009

Life is one big question when you're starin' at the clock...

I was all caught up at school today when it suddenly dawned on me that I only have a few weeks left in my classroom...
...by some miracle, I had the energy to start cleaning out my classroom. It is very odd and strangely satisfying to feel so ecstatic over throwing away paper. I felt like a huge weight was magically lifted off my shoulders when I looked by the trash can and saw 3 trash bags full of FCAT passages. I try not to say never, but I hope to NEVER have to deal with that test ever again! I cannot believe the massive amount of waste 1 test, 1 day out of the year generates.

We've started packing our things in a few boxes with the hope we can give/throw away most of our junk. It's amazing how much crap a few people can amass in a few short years! In order to facilitate packing, we are going by the rule: If we haven't used it/worn it in the last year, it is not following us to another country. Sounds so simple. I did that in my classroom today, and I found I don't actually use anything that is in my cabinets or closets. All my books, papers, etc... have been sitting in the same place since I started teaching. I threw most everything out and kept only those items that will help me, should I get a job teaching or tutoring in Brazil. At home, it is a little more difficult. If I spent money on something, then I feel compelled to keep it. I guess as it gets closer to June, I'll have to really start thinking about what can realistically fit in my suitcases and the boxes we are sending and what needs to be left behind.

I am a little nervous when it comes to the timing of visas and documents needed to get into Brazil. The Brazilian beaurocracy is notorious for being unnecessarily complex. From what a worker at the consulate says, it sounds a little too simple. I just need a police report, passport photoes, and the permanent resident visa form filled out. Apparently, being married for over 5 years to a Brazilian citizen has its advantages. Supposedly the process only takes a few weeks vs. months for newlyweds. What has me nervous are all the little "extras" needed to work in Brazil. I have to have the equivalent of a Social Security card (which can take months to get), register with the Federal Police in Brazil, and get a work book. My plan is to get the police report ASAP and go to the consulate in Miami to apply for the visa over Spring Break.

No comments:

Post a Comment